Commercial and industrial buildings commonly use 8ft fluorescent tubes to meet their lighting needs, but it also presents challenges for your maintenance team. Replacing 8 foot fluorescent tubes is tricky, but there are other, more convenient lighting options.
Let’s look at a few reasons why you may want to consider replacing your fluorescent tubes, along with some more convenient LED options.
Why You May Want to Switch Out Your 8 ft Fluorescent Light Fixtures
8ft fluorescent tubes come with a few common problems. These issues are also reasons to consider replacing the tubes with more energy-efficient lighting.
Here are some of the problems customers often run into with the fluorescent tubes.
- Fluorescent tubes break easily. Preventing an all-glass 8ft long tube from breaking during installation or shipping is a difficult task.
- Shipping is expensive. The tube’s length and glass construction mean higher shipping rates, and it still doesn’t guarantee it will arrive in one piece.
- Storage is tricky. It’s hard finding a safe place to store 8ft long fluorescent tubes.
- Not energy efficient. Most fluorescent tubes are not energy-efficient. Switching to LEDs not only saves on energy costs, but it can also reduce maintenance expenses.
- You have to recycle fluorescent tubes. Fluorescent lamps contain mercury that cannot go into landfills. You have to find a recycling facility that accepts the long tubes
Did you know we have an entire blog dedicated to comparing the differences between fluorescent tubes and LEDs? In our blog; Fluorescent Tubes vs. LED, we take an in-depth look at how the 2 lights compare, including energy savings, maintenance savings, and performance.
Replacement Options for 8 Foot Fluorescent Tubes
Fluorescent tubes are a pain to store and replace, but you can replace the lamps with LED lighting.
Here are a few replacement options for your bulky 8ft fluorescent tubes.
- LED retrofit kits. You don’t have to replace the lighting fixtures with an LED retrofit kit. Everything fits into your existing ballast, including the brackets and sockets. The retrofit kit is LED compatible, so you get a more durable lighting product and reduce energy usage.
- Transition to 4ft LED tubes. Have you considered transitioning to 4ft LED tubes? Two of the LED tubes will fit in your existing 8ft ballast. You can keep your existing light fixtures and save money on energy use. The shorter tubes are also easier to store and replace.
- Use a 4ft fluorescent retrofit kit. You are losing out on energy usage savings with a fluorescent retrofit kit. Mercury is also a problem, you still have to recycle the shorter tubes, but it will make replacing the tubes a little easier for your maintenance team. Using shorter fluorescent tubes also helps prevent breakage, but you are losing out on the benefits you get by switching to LED lighting. You also need to take into consider there could eventually be a global fluorescent ban.
- Replace 8 foot fluorescent tubes with LED lamps. Replacing your current fixtures with LED lighting is expensive, but you also see the highest return on your investment. Energy costs are lower, and the LEDs need replacing less often. You can also take advantage of rebates, warranties, and other financial incentives to help offset the installation costs.
Unfortunately, there isn’t a single lighting solution that meets everyone’s needs, and that is why we are here to help. Whether you are looking to replace your current lighting system or have questions about upgrading your 8ft fluorescent tubes to more energy-efficient LED lighting, our team of experts is here to help you.
Contact us today and start planning your lighting upgrade. Call 610-558-9773, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or schedule a call that fits your needs by clicking the button below.